Get a Head Start on a Lifetime of Smiles
We offer orthodontics for children because you want the best for your child in Vestavia Hills. As a parent, we know you want your child to enjoy healthy teeth and a confident smile!
Dr. Abenoja and our entire team will treat your children like our own by giving them the best orthodontic carepossible.
Orthodontic Check-Ups Are Recommended By 7
Some orthodontic problems should be addressed at Abenoja Orthodontics when your child is between age 7 and 10, before they have all of their permanent teeth.
Most of the time, Dr. Abenoja will take a “wait-and-see” approach and re-evaluate the growth and development of your child periodically.
Our Vestavia Hills team will monitor your child as they grow and recommend the ideal time for them to start treatment, if necessary.
What Is Early Treatment?
Early treatment at Abenoja Orthodontics helps to prevent or intercept more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
In some cases, Dr. Abenoja will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
Choosing the Best Time for Treatment
While the age that kids get braces will vary, orthodontic treatment most often begins between the ages of 9 and 14 at Abenoja Orthodontics. It’s easier for Dr. Abenoja to correct some orthodontic problems when they’re treated early.
If Dr. Abenoja thinks your child will need treatment, she’ll let you know when it will be best to begin treatment, and this gives her the best chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance and self-esteem in your child
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Create a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips and face
Signs Your Child’s Bite Isn’t Right
It can be tough to tell when your child may need braces or has an orthodontic problem. Even teeth that look straight may be hiding a problem bite.
Here are some clues that may indicate the need for orthodontic attention from Dr. Abenoja:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Breathing through the mouth
- Crowded, misplaced or blocked-out teeth
- Jaws that are too far forward or back
- Biting the cheek or biting into the roof of the mouth
- Protruding teeth
- Upper and lower teeth that don't meet, or meet in an abnormal way
- An unbalanced facial appearance
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
Learn More at Your Free Consultation
If your child has a dental issue, please contact us by setting up a free consultation at our Vestavia Hills office.
We can talk about your child's orthodontic options and develop a treatment plan that will meet their unique needs.